Whatever it Takes

Whatever it Takes

I was at the Piedmont Old Time Society jam last week talking to friends, making sure they knew about my party.  Because as some people forget, Facebook invites are only good if the intended guests are on Facebook.  I explained to my one friend that while I love having my friends over for a good time, the real reason I have my party is to make me finish my projects.  She laughed and said, “Alan and I do that when we need to make ourselves clean the house.” We laughed, and I don’t feel so bad about admitting it now.  I’m applying a lot of pressure to getting things done because my friends will be here, and what better motivation to get my stuff done than an audience.  And I also want them to not die from falling through a hole in the floor. While the sunroom is taking the lion’s share of my budget, my personal effort has been going into tidying up smaller things.  The first image on this post is my new porch light.  It matches the porch sidelights I installed last year.  It makes me realize how screwed up the English language is, because “sidelights” is one word.  I’ve also started my grocery list, assigning rooms for my guests who are coming from out of town, making sure the keg of beer I made for the party is ready, and making sure there are adequate chairs for the old time jam.  The first year I threw the party my concern was making sure the heat worked, and most rooms had working lights.  How things change, and...
Party IV

Party IV

My annual party gives me an opportunity to “finish” my projects and show off a little*.  This year I’m excited to report I have a little more furniture of the grown-up variety, some wall art I’m proud of, a few less holes, and electrical outlets that shoot fewer sparks when provoked with use. That being said, every project yields two more projects. My handyman Tony was finishing the drywall in my sun room, taking down the old plaster, when he discovered more termite damage. We formed a game plan, until I asked “What’s that wire? Is that still live?” Keep in mind, we weren’t even supposed to have taken down that wall.  But that’s how these things happen. I spent this morning tracing one live wire after another, with copper exposed, eventually finding a nest of wires jammed into the space between the sunroom and the interior closet.  I eventually found the right breakers to turn it all off, and got to work removing it.  It will leave me with another dead outlet until I rewire the first floor (perhaps you’ll see it at the party next year!) Despite the never-ending nature of these projects, I’m actually excited about closure, even in small degrees.  The sun room may have opened several other projects, but it will be open and usable for the first time in years, maybe even decades.  Cutting out bad electrical may leave me with a few dead outlets, but it makes the next steps of wiring it all in correctly easier, and more near-term.  The termite damage may cost me time and money, but now I know...